Wednesday, September 9, 2009

President Obama's speech to the future of the US

So yesterday during my lunch between my 3rd and 4th period I watched President Obama's speech to the students of the US.  The speech was honest and definitely pushed students to continue their education, most importantly he asked to students to hold each other accountable for their education.  Unfortunately I know most students have heard this speech before, and many of them have ignored it.  The problem with public education in the U.S. has an abundance of layers.  We first need to differentiate between most city schools and those in the suburbs.  The state of Maryland is nationally recognized for its public education, however the statistics fail to mention that Baltimore City graduates below 50% of its seniors.  I love the kids of Baltimore City, its why I teach here, they have as much potential as any other students in this country, but it seems that our society is too selfish to fix this problem.   Even though I commend President Obama for his speech to the students of our nation, I would like for him to address the students of the inner cities who have been left behind.  We expect our students to test at the same levels, but we don't offer them the same education.  It is unfathomable to set high expectations for every student in this country when we do not give them the tools necessary to meet those expectations.  Our society needs to focus on fixing the achievement gap that exist in our education system, I only hope that President Obama is the leader who appropriately addresses this issue.  

No comments:

Post a Comment